The 1913 map shows that a new school building was builf on the Thornton front garden. The house became The Old School House and was known by that name into the 1930s, still with its original cornices and architraves. The new school building had three floors of classrooms with high ceilings but no Hall, so presumably assemblies must have been held in the corrugated iron gymnasium erected on the edge of the wood (lined in dark on the 1913 map).

 

59

Page 58
Page 60