Engraving of Southwood Hall

Today Southwood Hall has been demolished and blocks of red-brick flats erected, but before this was done about three-quarters of the original site had been sold off for development and the estate reducued to about its 1815 size. The three acres sold now contain Bond & White's Yard, full of building materials, and Summersby Road.

Queen's Woods extended beyond, as they do today, and beyond them again, right up to the site of St James's Church, were the fields of Upton Farm. Milne's Land Utilization Map of 1800, on page 90, shows them as 'pasture and meadows', for Upton Farm was one of the belt of farms surrounding London which supplied milk and meat and grew hay for the horses. When the farm was sold in 1885, the five lots totalled 42 acres 7 perches, providing house sites from Connaught Gardens to St James's Church and round the hill to the edge of Collins's Rookfield Estate. Room for street after street of houses.

Woodlands

Woodlands was a large T shaped estateof 7 acres, which straddled M uswell Hill Road. The 189(1 estate plan, on page 100,shows that the house and grounds stretched in a long strip down what is now Woodland Rise and Woodland Gardens, while on the other side of the road, where there are now houses and shops, were stables, large and productive kitchen gardens, with a gardener's cottage, all cut from the Waste which used to line Muswell Hill Road on the edge of The Bishop of London's Hunting Park, which became Highgate Woods.Woodlands was a large T shaped estate of seven acres, which straddled Muswell Hill Road. The 1890 estate plan shows that the house and grounds stretched in a long strip down what is now Woodland Rise and Woodland Gardens, while on the other side of the road, where there are now houses and shops, were stables, large and productive kitchen gardens, with a gardener's cottage, all cut from the Waste which used to line Muswell Hill Road on the edge of The Bishop of London's Hunting Park, which became Highgate Woods.

It was here, in 1863, that Frederick Lehmann had a fine house and began to hold a literary and artistic salon. When the Lehmanns first rented the house from its owner, Mr Cameron, it was a newish house but it is not clear exactly when it had been built. They soon decided to buy and it became their country reteat.

 

97

British Library

Hornsey Historical Bulletin

Page 96
Page 98