The Bishop of London's Paddington Estate, 1742
Stretching from Hyde Park to Kilburn Bridge.
To the west of Edgware Road, from the Bayswater Road to Kilburn, lay the Bishop of London's Paddington Estate. The Estate Map of 1742 now hangs in the Church Commissioner's Offices in Millbank, London. It is a large hand-drawn Map and Terrier with the fields named and their sizes recorded in acres, roods, and square poles.
(A terrier, from the French 'terre', the earth, is a list of land holdings). This estate was one of many held by the Bishop of London and illustrates how much land was owned by the Church. At one time the church owned about one third of the land in England.
|Whole Map||Full Size||Full Size Map in New Window|
|1 Arce is:-
A Pole is the length of a whip needed to drive a yoke of oxen