Transport in London: 55 BC - AD 1801


Roman London.wood engraving c.1879


To show London Bridge, Westmister Ferry,
Edgware Road, City of London and radiating roads.

The following maps on this and the next page are a digest of a much more detailed account of the development of transport in London from Roman Times to today. This is available by following this link. You can return back to this page afterwards.



In Roman times the road we know as Oxford Street, led to Silchester, near Basingstoke, while Edgware Road (Watling Street) led to North Wales, via St Albans.

In 1740 Paddington and Westbourn (sic) were isolated villages on the road to Harrow. Oxford Street ran along the gravel ridge from Holborn and Park Lane was an unpaved path called Tyburn Lane.
 

In 1757 the New Road (now Marylebone Road, Euston Road, Pentonville Road and City Road, had been cut as a bypass north of Oxford Street, as the latter had become a cattle jam.

In 1801 the Grand Junction Canal had reached Paddington, curving along the 30 metre contour to the foot of Maida Hill and into the Canal Basin.

 

Page 63
Page 65
Updated March 1, 2011