The 1734 Lady Abney Estate Map of Stoke Newington
(Remember the north is to the left)
This map takes us right back to a peasant Stoke Newington unchanged for years. Look at the field names. How often have the people living in theWoodberry Down flats which were built on Lark Field, heard a lark in the garden. The country field names come from a completely different world.
There is a mistake on this map showing that it was copied from an earlier one. The buildings shown on this map in Stoke Newington Church Street, are the outhouses of the old Manor House but, by 1734, these had been demolished. The houses called Church Row, which replaced the Manor House, were built before this map and are on the 1814 one.