The Lost Church Row Houses


The Lost Church Row Houses
Picture of Church Row by Will Owen.

From ' Old London Town ', by Will Owen, 1921,
a delightful little book of sketches and comments
about London after the First World War.

This is a sketch by Will Owen of the first of a number of beautiful old houses known as Church Row, drawn before they were demolished in the 1930s. They extended from the Library to the old Parish Church, which he called

'a quaint old village church standing in an ancient graveyard and almost hidden by trees. It is a dull and uninteresting street, with here and there the decaying relic of a glorious old house and one Ancient Inn - "The Red Lion" - trying vainly to look young; and at the end comes a row of early eighteenth century houses, built of that rich red brick that grows richer with age, with pretty porches creeper-covered and this is Church Row.'


The Rear of 106-118 Church Row with their delightful walled gardens
This is now the site of the Town Hall


pic1
Whole Map Full Size Full Size Map Page

(Photograph by permission of Hackney Archive)

The 1834 map shows the Church Street houses from 154 to 161
(Use the larger image to search for the houses)