The old Glebe Field on the 1914 Ordnance Survey map
To remind us of the early maps of the area, the Glebe field has been set out on the 1914 map. The four Widdows houses in Church Street, and Clissold Road had been built on this field and Thistleton House garden was in the bottom left corner.
The Industrial Area
The industrial area had started off on the patch of land behind Carysfort Road which had been the stables and vegetable garden of the Willows estate. It stretched up to the edge of the old Glebe Field. The people in the old, wealthy houses in Church Street soon began to move out and their back gardens became covered in factories. Indeed their houses sometimes themselves became factories. The 1914 map and the next one tell the story of the change.
This plan shows how the Industrial area had spread. Shelford Place had been built and was lined with factories.
Shelford Place was lined with factories. The reverend Shelfield was a Vicar of St Mary's at the time when Clissold Park was saved as a public open space and campaigned hard to save it. Clissold was an earlier Vicar who not only gave his name to the Park but had a road of elegant houses named after him. Shelford, who helped save the Park got a row of factories.
Shelford Place 1
A covered opening between two Church Street Houses (marked with a cross in the 1936 map) led to a row of factories and a laundry.
The first factory under the opening between the Church Street houses
The same factory from the other view
The rear of the Shelford Place factories
Pictures 30.8.06 folder
THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN IN 2008 WHEN MANY BULDINGS WERE EMPTY.
OTHERS MAY LIKE TO FIND EARLIER ONES AND COMPARE THEM
By 1936 there were two piano factories, a toy factory and a laundry on the industrial site together with many other unnamed ones. At the same time there were new factories in Church Walk and other local streets. Industry, which at one time was excluded from Stoke Newington, had moved in. Factories continued to turn out all manner of goods through the Second World War and into the 1960s. After this many factories closed.
This industrial area started off started on the patch of land behind Carysfort Road which was once the stables and vegetable garden of the Willows estate. It stretched up to the edge of the old Glebe Field. The wealthy people in the old, wealthy houses in Church Street moved out and their back gardens were covered in factories, Sometimes their houses themselves became factories. This left the tinted triangle of the industrial site behind the houses in Clissold Road and Carysfort Road.
KEITH. SOME OF THE HOUSES IN ALBION ROAD ALSO HAD INDUTRY IN THEM SO WE NEED MAPS LIKE THIS FOR ALL THE DATES FROM 1914 - 1958. then we can decide how to use them .
End of 1914-1939
|Previous Page Title|