1863 Ordnance Survey
This was built just too far out of London for the houses to sell at that time. Houses like this in Highbury New Park sold readily but these were just a bit too far out of London. They languished and smaller houses were built nearby after some years.
1963 OS Map
The map shows a thatched cottage opposite the old Woodberry Down School Building, where the shops now stand.
Manor Road is being driven across to Green Lanes. The large houses at the ends are still standing but divided into flats. When they were built, they were for single families, sometimes with eight or ten children, several servants and a coachman. Two pairs of houses have mews behind them for stabling horses, with a short roadway leading to them. This became Allerton Rd.
The houses are massively built of yellow brick with red brick stringcourses. During the 1860's, there was a strong distaste for smooth surfaces and especially of stucco. They thought that stucco was not 'honest', often covering up shoddy brickwork.
Architects favoured coarser, more 'natural' materials which would weather better. London air, full of sulphur from the coal smoke, turned rain into dilute sulphuric acid. This attacked the plaster in the stucco walls, making them erupt in ugly, black scabs. Only perpetual painting kept out the acid but this was expensive. Nothing looks finer than a well painted Regency terrace: nothing costs more to maintain.
Instead of stucco, these houses were built by highly skilled men who made a feature of good bricklaying, with all joints exposed. The contrasting red and yellow bricks form their own decoration.
Many houses of this sort were built in Highbury but the Lordship Park development seems to have fizzled out. Smaller houses filled the gap later on.
A Brickfield with a moulders' bench, pug mill,
kiln, and brickstack,
|Major Constructions in London
|1870 Ordnance Survey Map