Queen's Head Street School, Islington


and now


In the 1870s the London School Board had the duty to build schools but often had extreme difficulty in finding sites they could afford, or even finding sites at all. Islington had once been open country, a place for gardens, duck shoots and ponds. Sadler's Wells had been a Hampstead Heath of London. In 1559, Anne Packington (the wife of Sir John P'ackington, chirographer (a writer of legal documents in the Court of Common Pleas) bequeathed to the Clothworkers' Company an estate of 60 acres and 31 perches. This produced rents of £16.16.9d per annum, which were to be for charitable purposes. (This was a substantial sum in those days).

The Clothworkers built almshouses, collected the rents for houses and farms and no doubt their members shot duck. By the end of the eighteenth century the situation was changing: Islington had become the fashionable place to live, in the fresh country air, within walking distance of the City of London. Each evening the managers of London firms heaved themselves up the hill to the high gravel ridge near The Angel, to tend their gardens and live as suburban life.

A map showing Islington when it was still open countryside, on the borders of London.

Issued by Baker, who was a local bookseller.



Page 224
<- Swipe Left or Right in this box to Navigate ->